CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

POWER STUGGLE

First of all - Justin passed his final exam today!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!! This has been a real hard class for him and we're both so happy that it's finally over. He has graduation tomorrow and then he drives home on Friday. I can't wait to have him home!!!

Second, things at home are going good. Well at least okay... Brianna and I are having a bit of a battle. I know I've probably caused a lot of the problem, but it's starting to get annoying and needs to be nipped in the butt. I never thought I was one of those mom's that run to their babies every little fuss or whimper. But I usually let her whine until I get done with what I'm doing and then I go get her. Well the past four or five days have been this constant whining thing and all she wants is attention. If you stop what you're doing and talk to her she'll smile at you, but as soon as you turn yourself back around the whining starts up again. She also has started to throw little fits when she can't have what she wants or you take away something that she's not supposed to have. (I know - my parents are smiling right now, thinking Yes! - She's finally getting some pay back.) So we're trying the ignoring method which I do have to say is making for some very long days. I guess the fact that she's been such a good baby so far is making this little hurdle seem bigger/harder than it actually is. Oh well - I guess I'm just a sucker for those big tears. :)

But along with the bad came the good. Yesterday we had a really frustrating morning with two big fits right in a row. I wouldn't let her suck on the diaper cream tube and then I wouldn't let her pull the ornaments off Christmas tree. (I know, such a mean mom!!!) She was so upset and mad. But I gave her her pacifier and just held her as she cried and cried. Now she only really snuggles when she's really tired and about to fall asleep. But she was so upset she just laid her head on my shoulder for about 45 minutes and we just chilled together as I rocked her. It just melted my heart - there's nothing like when your baby's sad and all they want is their mom. (Can I get a big Ooohhh. :) )

Well we'll keep working at it. I know this is a very normal thing in baby/mommy life - but if anyone has any tips I'm all ears. We're off to the church Christmas party tonight, so it'll probably be good for both of us to get out of the house for a couple of hours.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

good luck with the power struggle- you'll have to tell me what to do if you win :). I always wanted to have an iPod with the whole let them whine it out phase- it would definitely help :).

Anonymous said...

Usually when your child wants something they can't have, you have to get them interested in something else to distract them from the thing they can't have. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. With the whining, you have to just let them throw their fit, cry themselves out and when they are settled down, comfort them. They will soon learn that the whining gets them no where and will stop. It may take a while, but they are smart and figure it out. You also need to pay attention to them while they are not whining, so they know they get attention with whining. It hard, I know, but it will get better:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to put that the last comment was from Grandma Anderson. And on the last sentence, it should read "so they know they get attention "without" whining, instead of with whining." I should have proofread.
Love Grandma. Only 30 more days!!!!