CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

CHOW TIME

She's eating SOLID foods!!! Now that Bri turned 6 months we started her on solids for the first time. We made it a whole 6 months with 100% breast feeding - no supplementing - I'm kinda impressed with ourselves. (Well I guess I can't say 100% because she sometimes gets apple juice because her multi-vitamin makes her a little constipated). We busted out the rice cereal on Sunday night and she actually did better than I thought she would. I made the cereal really runny like they suggest so it was really messy because it was basically trying to feed her pure liquid from a spoon. (But I guess messy is the name of the game when it comes to feeding babies. Right? :)) She wasn't too sure about it for the first couple of bites, she pulled some really funny faces, but by the end she actually opened her mouth for the spoon a couple of times.

FIRST BITE.
YUM - YUM!!!

STILL SMILING!


SHE LIKED TO CHEW ON THE SPOON.

I THINK SHE THOUGHT IT WAS A TOY. :)
SHE'S SO GROWN UP!

We've continued throughout the week and she is eating better everyday. I've started to make the cereal thicker and thicker every day and she's doing great. She usually eats most of the bowl but gets really distracted at the end - I try not to fight with her about it because I don't want to make eating a struggle, so for right now I just let her decide when she's done.
We're going to keep with cereal for a couple of weeks and then start the veggies. I actually went to a "make your own baby food" class last week and I think I'm going to give it a try. I wasn't too open to the idea at first but I went to the class with a friend who was really gung-ho about it, so I basically just went so she wouldn't have to go by herself. I guess I always imagined making baby food a big drawn out process of cooking all day, labeling, storing, freezing, but it's really not. I also thought that you had to buy everything fresh (which is terribly expensive up here), but I asked the instructor and she said that especially in Alaska the "fresh" produce we get really isn't all that fresh so the nutrition value is really about the same if you use canned or frozen. So I'm going to give it a try, at least with the fruits and veggies - I'm not sold on doing the meats yet. And because we attended the class we got a free food mill, so I might as well at least try.

1 comment:

The DeVito's said...

Yay! I started Bella last week. She's not really into it that much, so we just try again every couple of weeks. I made my own baby food. I have a Vita-Mix, I just pureed it, and put it in ice cube trays and then plastic bags. I added potatoes to the veggies and breast milk as well. It's all VERY good!